Thursday, October 3, 2013

Recent Haul: Riri Hearts MAC, Maybelline, Real Techniques

Hey Lovelies, 

I've done some shopping lately and I decided to share my new treasures with you and also adding mini reviews of the products. I have not yet had the possibility to try all of them but I will let you know how they perform when I'm doing my everyday make-up posts. 






Riri Hearts MAC

     I've been really excited about this collection, since I've been eyeing Hibiscus Kiss ever since I saw it in the summer collection and now I finally got it. It's a bronzer blusher duo, now in the special packaging. The bronzer is completely matte, it's a medium brown, lighter than MAC Matte Bronze, somewhat similar to Benefit Hoola. The blusher is a pinky coral with a slight shimmer. You can also mix the two colors together to get a brownish coral shade. I love the packaging of the whole collection, the bronzer comes in a pretty rose gold compact with a mirror and of course Rihanna's signature. I read some reviews before getting it and some of them said that this bronzer does not show up on medium or darker skin tones, but I didn't notice this. I could make the product show up easily on my NC35 skin. 
     My other pick from the collection was the Cream Color Base in Diamonds, which has a nice warm, slightly bronzy color. I would not consider this a must-have product, but it's still very nice to have -plus Diamonds in one of my favorite songs by Rihanna. I originally wanted the blusher from the collection but when I swatched it, it seemed way too orange for my skin tone so I just got the cream color base. Diamonds will make a great highlighter, or if you want a more dramatic effect, you could use it as the base and top it with a powder highlighter (such as my fav, Dior Amber Diamond). If you have the Cream Color Base in Shell, you may find Diamonds too similar, although Shell is more brownish-pinkish, but once they are on your skin, you won't be able to tell so much difference. 

Diamonds and Hibiscus Kiss

     I didn't get anything else from the collection. I was really tempted to buying Riri Woo, but when I saw how similar it is to Ruby Woo (which I own), I decided to skip it. There is very little difference between them, Riri Woo is slightly darker than Ruby Woo. I also tried the frosty orange lipstick, Who's That Chick, but it looked horrific on me. If you purchase Riri Woo or Talk That Talk  lipsticks, you should certainly get the matching lip liners from the collection, they are Pro Longwear lip pencils, which are really amazing, they stay on all day. I didn't fall in love with the eyeshadow quads but I was surprised when I swatched them at the preview night. I've read quite negative reviews on them and in my opinion, they are actually pretty nice, especially the brown quad, Her Cocoa. The only really problematic shade was the black sparkly shadow (which looks just like Black Tied) from the Smoked Cocoa quad. However I didn't find any of the quads really unique. If you have a lot of eyeshadows, you probably have very, very similar shades. If you still want one of the quads because you're a huge Rihanna fan, I'd go with Her Cocoa. The rest of the collection are permanent products in the special packaging. The only thing I would certainly avoid is the Liquidlast Liner, I've had one of those before and I simply hated it. The brush is not precise, very hard to work with, the formulation is too sticky, not to mention that the liner itself is impossible to remove, you have to really rub your eyelids to get it off.
     I know the collection is crazy sold out online but you might still find somethings you like at your counter!

Maybelline goodies

     I also picked up a couple of Maybelline products that I've been wanting for a while. I already have a couple of the vivid lipsticks, and I decided to get more of them, since they are ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! Seriously, if you have not yet tried them, you should just stop reading and go to the nearest drugstore  to pick up some. I got two bright pink colors, Vivid Rose and Fuchsia Flash. Both of them are very pigmented and creamy, they go on like a dream. 

Vivid Rose and Fuchsia Flash


     I looked around in my collection for possible dupes for these colors but I found the differences really hard to photograph. However, here are the comparisons:

From left to right: Maybelline Vivid Rose, MAC Girl About Town, MAC Lickable, MAC Quick Sizzle LE, MAC Show Orchid, NARS Satin Lip Pencil in Yu

From left to right: NARS Carthage, Maybelline Fuchsia Flash, MAC Candy Yum Yum

     I also got the Dream Bouncy Blush in Coffee Cake, which has a really interesting formulation. It's somewhere between a gel and a cream but it dries to a powder finish. You could use this as your blusher when you don't want to distract the attention from bold lips or a smokey eye. I swatched it along with two Nars blushes which are somewhat similar (but certainly not dupes). 

Dream Bouncy Blush in Coffee Cake

From left to right: NARS Gilda, Maybelline Coffee Cake, NARS Douceur


Real Techniques

     Last but not least I picked up the newest member of the Real Techniques line, the Miracle Complexion Sponge. I own the original Beauty Blender and I love it, so I decided to give the Real Techniques alternative a shot. It has a sharp tip end, a rounded side and a flat side as well, which makes it really versatile. It could work as a more affordable alternative to the original Beauty Blender.

Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge

Miracle Complexion Sponge vs. my original Beauty Blender

Flat side of the Miracle Complexion Sponge compared to my Sigma F88

     If you are interested in the Real Techniques brushes, I'm planning to do a review of the whole line soon! 

Let me know in the comments if you did some hauls recently and how you like your loot! :)

Petra



Disclaimer: I bought all of the products with my own money. This is not a sponsored post.





2 comments:

  1. Hi petra. Can you help me to tell me more about mac lickable and girl about town? Which one you prefer? I am confused seems color is pretty similar :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yohanna, indeed, the two colors are very very similar, nice medium pink with a strong blue undertone. The difference is in the finish, Lickable is a cremesheen while Girl About Town is an amplified creme, which means that Girl About Town is more opaque, but both of them have a creamy, glossy sheen. Lickable was one of my first MAC lipsticks in my collection so it has a special place in my heart, but to be honest, since I own Girl About Town as well, I mainly use the latter one. Hope this helps you out a little! :)

    ReplyDelete